Uttar Pradesh government released the Uttar Pradesh Solar Policy 2017, that aims to generate 10,700 MW (including 4300 MWp through rooftop)of solar power in next five years by the end of 2022. The state’s solar energy sector is likely to attract fresh investment of Rs 50,000 crore during this period.
Creation of fresh capacity of 10,700 MW of solar power, when complete, will lead to the reduction of 1.36 crore MT of carbon emission every year which will be equivalent to absorption of carbon dioxide by 6.42 crore trees.
The Solar Policy would be applicable for:
- Utility Scale Solar Power Projects.
- Rooftop Solar Power Projects.
- Off-grid Solar Power projects.
Aims of Uttar Pradesh Solar Policy 2017:
- Promotion of private participation & improvement of investment opportunities in state for Solar energy projects.
- Providing eco-friendly, cheap power for all.
- Increasing research & development activities, skill development in the sector.
- Meeting 8% Solar Renewable Power Purchase Obligation by 2022.
Important Highlights of Uttar Pradesh Solar Policy 2017:
- State government plans to set-up ‘Green Power Corridors’ that would cost Rs 4,000 crore in Bundelkhand and eastern Uttar Pradesh with Centre’s help. Industrial houses in Bundelkhand region and eastern Uttar Pradesh will get cheaper power from the solar units.
- In its first employment scheme, the state has decided to employ about 10,000 ‘Surya Mitra’. They will be trained in setting-up solar plants and its maintenance.
- The private solar power generator will have 50 per cent rebate in transmission charges if they sell solar power within state and 100 per cent if sold outside the state.
- Similarly, consumer setting up rooftop solar poer units will be offered a subsidy of Rs 15,000 per KW. Solar power units up to 10 KW have been exempted from Safety and security norms.
- Those setting up solar plants have been exempted from taking clearances from environment ministry and pollution board.
- A single window system has already been created at UPNEDA office for clearances and completing necessary formalities. The UPNEDA portal will also begin an online application processing services shortly.
- The Solar energy policy 2017 will be valid for the next five years.
Meanwhile, UP is gearing to showcase the solar energy space as a major attraction at the forthcoming Global Investors Meet 2018 being organised during February 21 and 22 in Lucknow. The state is eyeing to sew memorandum of understanding (MoU) worth almost Rs 10,000 crore in the solar energy space alone at the summit of the total private investment target of over Rs 5,000 crore. (Source: Business Standard )
Download Uttar Pradesh Solar Policy 2017: PDF in Hindi